CRS – Tax Residency

Tax residency status is an international obligation for financial institutions to share information with your local country tax office e.g. Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

If you are a foreign tax resident you will be asked to:

  • Provide the country of tax residency
  • Provide your Tax Identification Number (TIN) if you have been issued one, or a reason for not providing one.

How do I find my Tax Residency Status?

In Australia you can use this calculator 

If you have ever lived or worked in America use this Calculator

Most countries will have their own means test for you to follow to check if you are a tax resident in their country

Why is this important?

The Tax Laws Amendment (Implementation of the Common Reporting Standard) Act 2016 takes effect in Australia on 1 July 2017. From this date, Reportable Financial Institutions will be required to complete due diligence and report information to the ATO on accounts held by foreign tax residents. The first report, covering the period 1 July 2017 to 31 December 2017, will need to be lodged with the ATO by 31 July 2018. Following reports will cover the full calendar year due annually by 31 July.

This information is being collected as part of the international ‘Common Reporting Standard’ (CRS) and requires Australian financial institutions to provide the tax residency of all customers to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

This international agreement will help ensure international tax transparency and the exchange of financial account information between participating nations. 

No votes yet.
Please wait...
Tags: ,

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *