Depending on the state you are in you will need to exchange your UK driving license within a certain period of arriving in the country.
British Columbia /Saskatchewan / Alberta – 3 Months
Ontario – 60 Days
Some people have been able to swap their driving licenses after these dates , however I wouldn’t risk the hassle of having to redo your driving license just in case!
This process involves going to a Local Driving Centre and bringing with you
- Your old UK Driving License AND any other driving license you hold from any other country. I did not need to show proof of driving history or my UK counterpart.
- Your Passport
- Proof of your Visa ( Student or Work )
- Money to pay for license cost. This was $30 for me
- They take your driving license off you and offer you a photo copy ( this will either get held or sent back to the UK ) You will need to reapply back in tke UK
- Perform an Eye Test
- Ask you some questions ( 4 about Canadian Driving ) you don’t have to pass these they tell you the answers if you don’t know
- Present you with a temporary paper license and an ETA for your new Card. This temporary license can be used for driving as well as ID